Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower


I have played quite a bit with cauliflower in the past, trying to increase the variety of vegetables that I enjoy eating and don't just tolerate. A month ago I tried roasting cauliflower in the oven, intending to then puree it for my usually 'mashed' cauliflower recipe. When I removed it from the oven, I found each piece of the vegetable tender and caramelized to perfection. Forget the food processor...this is my absolute favorite cauliflower application.

1-2 heads cauliflower
1/4 cup olive oil
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground mustard
2 tbsp chopped chives (optional)

Heat your oven to 400 degrees. To prepare cauliflower, remove stems from the base, then carefully cut off each floret. Slice florets into 1/8 inch thick pieces or break florets into very small sections. Don't get rid of the interior stem!!! Peel this section carefully, remove the coarse bottom and slice into 1/8 inch discs. Toss cauliflower with remaining ingredients and spread out on a baking sheet covered in tin foil. Cook 35 to 45 minutes, at least twice during the cooking process.

No comments: