Sunday, October 26, 2008

Smoked Tomato and Onion Dressing

I love the show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" on Food Network, which is where Mike and I saw this salad dressing made. We have done our own interpretation and although it is still a little high in fat, consider using with with bland, low-fat food, as we did here (iceberg lettuce and grilled chicken breast).

1 tomato

1 onion

½ cup mayonnaise

1 tsp paprika

salt and pepper


Heat grill. Half tomato and onion, rub with olive oil, then place on the top rack of the grill (not sitting directly on the flame). Smoke for 30-45 minutes. In a blender, all tomato and onion, ½ cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp paprika, salt and pepper. Blend until slightly chunky. Serve over everything.

(This recipe makes a ton of dressing, so consider reducing amounts...or just use all the time, like we did).


4 comments:

dlundin said...

I too was intrigued by the sound of this dressing and had to have it. I smoked five plum tomatoes, an onion, and a few (not enough) cloves of garlic on a Cameron stovetop smoker using the hickory. That cooked it about enough, though it could have been a little more. I blended it with some mayo and buttermilk, paprika, sriracha, a little garlic powder, salt, pepper and chopped chives. It was really, really good and ready to serve to company. It was great on butter lettuce but was even better on boiled shrimp.

SJerZGirl said...

I just saw this dressing on 3D today and I have to try it! I just don't have a way to smoke the veggies. Once I figure that out, I plan to put it in place. It's a little like a creamy Russian dressing but with a bit more personality, from the sound of it (and without some of the bitterness that can have).

Anonymous said...

What episode of Triple D is this on please?

Anonymous said...

The episode is called "All about BBQ" & is being run this weekend or this week, I think.